Name of the Group
The Abbey Gardens Friends
Aims of the Friends
- to promote and enhance the Gardens for the benefit and enjoyment of the whole community
- to seek to improve the recreational, environmental and educational facilities of the
- to extend understanding of and respect for the heritage of the ancient monument
- to raise funds for the improvement of the Gardens though individual subscription and corporate sponsorship
- to liaise with St Edmundsbury Borough Council Parks Service to achieve these aims.
Membership of the Abbey Gardens Friends is open to all, regardless of age, nationality, political party, race, gender, or religious opinion or belief. Friends do not need to be resident in the immediate area.
A Friend will be either:
- a Volunteer, who is actively involved in working in the Gardens, and/or serving on the Committee, or
- a Support Friend, who retains an interest in and is committed to the Gardens, but is not actively involved.
Membership Fee / Subscription
All Friends are invited to pay the same annual subscription which will be set at the AGM. For current rates, see Becoming a Friend.
Management of the Abbey Gardens Friends
- The Committee of the Friends will consist of no more than eight members.
- Officers of the Committee will include: a chair, secretary, membership secretary and treasurer.
- A minimum of five members will form a quorum.
- Members of the Committee will be elected at the AGM and appointed as officers at the first meeting following the AGM.
- Committee posts are held for three years, and members retire in rotation after this period.
- Members may stand for re-election immediately.
- The Committee has the power to co-opt up to two members, to complete the Committee as required. These co-opted members will then need to stand for election at the following AGM.
- The Committee should meet every second month, but not less than four times a year.
- Minutes of the Committee meetings will be available to all members of the Committee and to St Edmundsbury Borough Council.
- A representative of both the Borough Council’s Landscape Department and the Parks Department may attend Committee meetings by the invitation of the Chair.
Extraordinary Committee Meetings
- Any Committee member may request of the Chair that an Extraordinary Committee Meeting be held.
- Such a meeting should be convened to discuss one particular matter only, and will be opened and introduced by the Chair, but thereafter will be chaired by the Committee member who requested the meeting.
- At least one week's notice should be given to all Committee members.
- Any member of the Committee may propose a sub-committee to the Chair for approval by the Committee, or the Committee may suggest the creation of a sub-committee.
- The size of the sub-committee may be up to three persons, and should focus on one aspect only of the work of the Abbey Gardens Friends.
- Over the year, the leader of the sub-committee will attend and report to a minimum of 50% of the meetings of the main Committee, but will receive the agendas and minutes of all Committee meetings.
Annual General Meeting
- The Annual General Meeting of the Abbey Gardens Friends will be held each year in February.
- The Agenda for the meeting will be posted on the Friends’ web site at least two weeks in advance of the meeting, and will be displayed prominently in the Gardens.
- The AGM may be attended by any member of the Abbey Gardens Friends.
- Accounts will be presented at the AGM for approval of the Friends present.
Changes to the Constitution
- Changes to the Constitution can be proposed for consideration at the AGM.
- The Secretary should be notified of these at least three weeks before the meeting.
- Any changes to the Constitution must be supported by at least two thirds of the Friends present at the meeting.
- The Friends group may only be dissolved as a special General Meeting called for that purpose.
- A proposal to dissolve the group shall take effect only if agreed by two thirds of the Friends present.
- Should the Abbey Gardens Friends cease to exist, any residual funds will be paid to St. Edmundsbury Borough Council on the understanding that these monies will be used to fund one or more projects in the Abbey Gardens within six months of the date of the payment.